Sunday, February 27, 2011

Un Dimanche à Paris



Are you a chocolate lover? If yes, there is a new, spacious (800 square meters – what a difference in comparison to the tiny boutiques of Pierre Hermé or La Pâtisserie des Rêves) place in the heart of Paris (métro Odéon), waiting for your gourmet visit. Open seven days a week from 9 a.m. to midnight, “Un Dimanche à Paris”, is the first “concept store” of the chocolate chef Pierre Cluizel. It started to operate only a couple of few months ago. It relates to chocolate and everything around it. Visit the historic Cour du Commerce Saint-André at the base of the ancient 13th-century city walls built by Philippe Auguste and you will find the spacious, bright, friendly designed store, including a shop, a pâtisserie, a bar, a restaurant, a lounge and a chocolate salon - all under one roof.



Pierre Cluizel is son of Michel Cluizel. You probably will not be surprised if I write that his father is a famous master chocolatier… Michel has been making chocolates since quite a long time, meaning since 1948. He began his career in his parents’ pastry and chocolate shop in Normandy. He is famous for, inter alia, processing cacao beans in his own ateliers (which is not so obvious even in the world of chocolate makers).

Let’s come back to the son, Pierre, and his shop. The ground floor, equipped with huge windows, welcomes you to visit the chocolate boutique and pastry shop. You will find candies, chocolate by the piece and by the block (milk, dark, white) or pastries (éclairs, macarons), and chocolate cookies. For those who are not so crazy about chocolate, I propose to check their caramel au beurre salé, and other sweet confections – jarred, canned or in bags. The personnel is patient and friendly and thanks to the huge surface – as for Parisian conditions –, you can enjoy your visit at your own pace, nobody will hustle you or hurry you up with mad eyes.



Another thing that makes it different from other Parisian pastry shops that I know is an open (or at least transparent) pastry laboratory, located on the ground flour, next to the shop. This laboratory has glass walls, so it is possible to watch desserts and pastries being prepared from scratch.  Unfortunately, when I visited the place, the kitchen was on a break, and I could not watch pastry chefs doing their wonders. You pass the shop and the pastry laboratory, and you enter the “salon de thé” (tearoom) and a spacious dining room, meaning a restaurant serving savory dishes – all of them prepared with a touch of chocolate. We did not have any time to have lunch there, so I am awaiting your critics and comments should you make it first at this place.



That’s not all. Climb the stairs to the first floor where a bar and lounge serves drinks prepared from chocolate. There is also a teaching kitchen where chocolate and pastry classes/workshops are organized.

I wish I could try at least some hot chocolate there, but running out of time, I only bought a few macarons which I found quite good. I regret that I did not have a chance to spend more time there because, since we are moving to Poland for some time, I am afraid that I will not visit the place again in a near future.

That’s why, my dear fellows, I invite you to give me some news of your own experience there!

9 comments:

Kubełek Smakowy said...

That must be a wonderful place. Desolee, so far from Rzeszów ...

Atria C. said...

I am a chocolate lover and what's more I love to admire beautiful chocolate works. For me, little pieces of art. Georgeus, even to look at it!

Beatrice Bachleda said...

The only thing better than delicious chocolate is delicious, beautiful, Parisian chocolate. How I wish I'm there right now, indulging in those confections.

While I was not born in Poland, my mom and dad were (Mom from Gdansk and dad from Zakopane) and so I visit Poland a lot. It's really wonderful to see Paris through the eyes of a Polish girl, I feel connected to you!

Emily Malloy said...

This is a gorgeous post.

Thanks so much for sharing.

My husband and I are planning a trip to Paris in 2012, we will definitely make a stop at this place!

RamblingTart said...

What a wonderful place! And delicious array of delights. :-) The caramels sound amazing. :-)

Szalony Kucharz said...

Am I a chocolate lover? Let's put it this way: if chocolate didn't exist, I'd invent it.

Yet another reason to go to Paris. On Sunday.

Tilianara said...

Ja nie mogę na to patrzeć! Dopiero co zaspokoiłam głód czekolady doskonałym brownie, a teraz jeszcze na wycieczkę mnie ciągnie. Ale co ja poradzę, że nie mam szans pojawić się teraz w tym magicznym sklepie. Ach, idę po kosteczkę czekolady :)

Szana said...

oj szkoda ze po angielsku, bo mozg musze wlaczyc na odpowiedni tryb, ale blog bardzo fajny.
pierwszy raz tu jestem i odpowiada mi twoj styl,
bede wpadac czesciej,
pozdrawiam!

SallyBR said...

Magdalena, just popped in to say hi, I wonder what's going on in your life, not sure if you are too busy to blog

I definitely miss your posts!

Hope all is well with you...

(Loved this post about my favorite city in the world... well, one of the favorites! :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...